Pizza has to be one of my all time favorite foods. At home pizza, greasy take-out or gourmet restaurant-style pizza? Yes, yes and yes! Although I loved homemade pizza, making it at home use to be a struggle, as I could never get the dough round or even enough. But I discovered an amazing cast iron pizza recipe and it’s a game-changer. The dough comes out nicely rounded and cooked evenly, while the depth of the cast iron allows you to layer your toppings which are cooked to perfection. If you love pizza, give this recipe a try, it won’t disappoint. It’s also simple and ready in 20 minutes!
- Olive oil
- Pizza dough
- Marinara sauce
- Cheese (I used mozzerella & Trader Joe’s Quattro Formaggio)
- Your favorite pizza toppings! (I used: Pepperoni, mushrooms & spinach)
- Preheat oven at 475 degrees.
- Remove dough from packaging and massage with a bit of olive oil.
- Let dough sit at room-temperature for 30 minutes (or follow dough instructions if time is different) and place in coated olive oiled cast iron.
- Once dough is ready, massage and spread dough evenly in the cast iron.
- Bake dough in oven for 5 minutes, while you prep the pizza toppings.
- Take out dough from the oven once it’s been 5 minutes and spread sauce and add toppings to your liking.
- Bake pizza for 15 minutes.
- Once pizza is ready, remove and sprinkle parsley on top.
- Let pizza cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
TIPS: I love to layer my pizza in a cast-iron – a bit of sauce, some veggies, add cheese, more toppings and add more sauce and cheese. I highly recommend using a couple of different cheese mixes – mozzarella is a given, but I also love using Trader Joe’s Quattro Formaggio which has parmesan, asiago, fontina and provolone – it has everything in one and makes the perfect addition to mozzarella. Lastly, be sure your cast iron is well oiled, since you’re adding some olive oil to your dough as well, you don’t need to add flour to your dough to massage, as olive oil works perfect.