In celebration of the New Year, I hosted a small dinner party at our place a last week. While I love to cook, but cooking for a group can feel like a daunting task. I scanned Pinterest for inspiration and finally came up with the idea of making Enchiladas. My group of friends love Mexican food and a casserole is perfect for a dinner party – it feeds a lot of people and it’s time efficient. Everyone loved it and my husband loved it so much, I made it again for him. If you love Mexican food, be sure to try my below recipe – it’s so easy!
- Small Flour tortillas
- 3 cups of Enchilada Sauce (I love using Las Palmas Mild Sauce)
- 3 cups of Mexican cheese blend
- 1 lb of Chicken (shredded)
- Garlic Salt (or regular salt)
- Black Pepper
- Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
- Parsley (optional)
- Sour cream (optional topping to enjoy enchilada’s with)
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt, black pepper and fiesta lime seasoning and cook in cooking oil over the stove for about 5 minutes on each side (don’t over cook, as it will dry out the chicken).
- When chicken is cool, shred it with forks and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- In a baking pan (I had an 11×7, but you can use what you have), grease the bottom with cooking spray and add a bit of enchilada sauce to the bottom to avoid any sticking or burning.
- Begin to layer casserole: Flour tortillas, 1/2 of the shredded chicken, half of the 1/3 of finely chopped onion, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, parsley and 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce. Use a spoon to evenly distribute the sauce and begin the next layer with the rest of the ingredients.
- The recipe calls for two layers for an 11×7 pan, but you can make more depending on the size of your pan.
- On your last layer, add more cheese on top.
- Place in oven and cook for about 30 minutes.
TIPS: Cut flour tortillas in halves to cover the edges. Flour tortillas work best, as corn tortillas break easily. I recommend serving casserole with some sour cream, refried beans, rice or a fresh salad.