Acai Bowls are hugely popular here in California and Hawaii (Anything fresh and healthy is usually an automatic hit in these areas). Originally from Brazil, Acai is considered a “superfruit” because it’s loaded with antioxidants. If you’ve never had an Acai Bowl, it’s similar to a smoothie/sorbet consistency that’s then topped with fresh fruit, granola or any of your favorite toppings (chai seeds, almond butter, honey…etc). They’re actually quite simple to make at home. Below is how I make my Acai bowls, hope you give it a try, I’m sure you’ll love them!
The below makes (1) Acai Bowl
Ingredients for Base:
- (1) Sambazon Superfruit Frozen Packs – I bought mine at Fresh & Easy. You can also find them at Whole Foods, Sprouts & Costco or Amazon. If you can’t find the frozen packs, check to see if your grocery store carries Sambazon Acai Juice and just freeze the juice in an ice cube container. You can often find the juice at Vons and other grocery stores.
- 1/2 cup of Frozen Berries – You can use any combination of strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
- 1/4 cup of Coconut Water or Almond Milk – You’ll need just a bit to help blend the frozen acai and frozen fruit.
Toppings (Below are suggestions, you can choose whatever you love):
- Berries (Strawberries, blueberries or raspberries)
- Chia Seeds
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Pour coconut water in blender with frozen pack and frozen berries and blend/puree.
- Consistency should be creamy not liquidy. If you feel the consistency is too liquidy, add more frozen berries. If you don’t have a high-power blender add frozen berries a few at a time to help blend everything correctly.
- Once base is blended pour in a bowl and place in freezer as you cut up fruit and gather toppings.
- Once you have all toppings, place on top of acai base and enjoy!
TIPS: I recommend Sambazon Superfruit frozen packs with Acai and Guarana – not the unsweetened packs as they’re quite tart.
Hope you give this a try, they’re so refreshing in the morning or great for a snack!