I’m a huge ceviche lover. It’s the perfect meal that’s light, full of flavor and healthy. It’s also pretty simple to make, and clean up is a breeze – no pots and pans! I’ve been making this almost weekly, because it’s that tasty and healthy. Luckily, my husband hasn’t complained and he actually looks forward to it.
Below is my own simple recipe that I created. I’ve made a couple of tweaks to traditional shrimp ceviche, I prefer to use Tapatio Hot Sauce instead of using traditional jalapenos. Tapatio just adds a tangy touch of spice, much more subtle and tasty than jalapenos. I also like to include imitation crab which adds another tasty element. But if you’re not a fan of imitation crab, simply replace with shrimp. Feel free to customize to your liking!
- 1/2 lbs. Shrimp (or 1lb of shrimp if you don’t like Imitation Crab) – Chopped
- 1/2 lbs. Imitation Crab – Chopped
- 3 Small Tomatoes – Diced
- 1 Large Cucumber – Diced
- 3/4 of half a small Red Onion – Finely diced
- 1 Avocado – Sliced for garnish
- Cilantro – Finely diced
- 2-3 Limes – Squeeze juice of about 2 to 2 1/2 limes
- Salt & peper for taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Tapatio Hot Sauce
- Tostadas (Optional)
- In a large bowl toss the diced tomatoes, cucumber, onion, shrimp and imitation crab together.
- Grab a small amount of cilantro (enough cilantro to your liking) and finely chop and mix into bowl.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Squeeze lime juice into bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Tapatio into bowl and mix everything together.
- Add mixture to tostadas.
- Slice avocado slices and add to each tostada.
- Do not mix avocado into ceviche mixture as avocado tends to brown easily. I recommend just garnishing the ceviche with avocado slices after it’s plated.
- Add more salt, pepper, lime or tapatio to your liking. I go crazy with lime juice and tapatio, but that’s my own preference.
- Feel free to serve on a plate with tortilla chips or just eat the ceviche on its own.