Tomato basil soup is my ultimate comfort food. Add a side of grilled cheese and it’s pure perfection. While I’ve had many versions of tomato soup, this recipe is the best. Nordstrom has a notoriety of having a delicious tomato soup and upon further research I found a simple recipe that will knock your socks off. Secret ingredients are below! Hope you love it as much as I do.
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 5 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
- 2.5 tablespoons dried basil, crushed
- 2.5 tablespoons dried parsley, crushed
- 3 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, deep pot heat up butter over medium heat and add chopped carrots, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, add 1 tablespoon of basil and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Cook until vegetables are soft (about 10-15minutes).
- Add tomatoes and broth with 1 tablespoon of basil and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer for 45minutes.
- Turn off heat, let everything cool down and puree in a blender or food processor until smooth or to your preferred texture (I had to do mine in batches, so use an extra pot to add pureed soup).
- Once everything is pureed, bring back to your original pot, turn on heat to low and season with salt and pepper. Add the rest of the basil and parsley as needed.
- Begin to add heavy cream – I added about 1/2 of a cup, but you can add to your liking.
- Once everything is well mixed together. Turn off heat, let everything sit for a bit and then serve!
TIPS: Taste and season as you go. Don’t overdo the heavy cream, a little goes a long way. You can also replace canned tomatoes with fresh tomatoes of course. Be sure to stir the soup throughout the process and don’t leave the heat on too high.