One of my favorite appetizers to order at RA Sushi is their shishito peppers. They’re delicious and go perfectly with sushi and a cold drink. If you haven’t tried them, I suggest you order them next time you’re at RA Sushi or Nobu (I heard they have them there as well!).They’re a very mild Japanese pepper, similar to a bell pepper, but much tastier in my opinion. They’re really not very spicy, in occasion you may bite into one that has a tiny bit of spice, but if you like flavor, you’ll love these!
I wanted to try my own home version and while I didn’t know their exact ingredients that RA Sushi uses, I decided to improvise and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. If you love peppers, this is a great appetizer or snack to have. Hope you enjoy!
- Shishito peppers
- 2 tbs Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- Minced Garlic
- Garlic Salt or Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- Lemon (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Wash peppers and dry with paper towels.
- On a hot skillet add olive oil and minced garlic and add in the peppers.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper – I used garlic salt, but I’d recommend sea salt instead.
- Allow peppers to cook thoroughly, tossing peppers consistently till they’ll start to blister.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of Sirracha sauce to pan and mix.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to pan and mix.
- Once peppers are blistered, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top. Lemon juice is optional, but it helps soften the sriracha sauce, if you’re not a fan of heat.
- Plate and add sesame seeds on top as garnish and enjoy!
TIPS: Be sure not to add too much salt as soy sauce has plenty of salt!
*Top image from Yelp.com, all other images are my own.